Advertisement

My Review in Music Connection Magazine

topic posted Wed, July 11, 2007 - 11:38 PM by  pete
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hey good peoples, hope your extended holiday weekend was chill....
mine was cool.

Thought I'd share my latest zine review... I'm all proud and smiley about it.
:) yup yup!

musicconnection.com/currenti...cgi#band3

Pete Hopkins: Talented, versatile pop-rock singer/songwriter.

Pete Hopkins
Tangier
Los Feliz

Web: MySpace.com/petehopkins

The Players: Pete Hopkins, guitars, vocals; Todd McCool, electric guitar; George Nakonechny, bass; Frank Musarra, drums.

Material: Muscular and melodic, funky and soulful, this pop-rock artist writes and arranges his material so well that it frequently sounds like ear candy. For this gig, Pete Hopkins assembled a nicely balanced set with mid-tempo and fast-paced numbers and a few wild cards thrown in that were quirky and humorous ("I Won't Cry," "Become," "Be My Lover," "Way of Our Own," Hideaway," "Umbrella," "Take The Train" and "True American").

Musicianship: Think Prince, Jamiroquai and Mick Hucknall. Hopkins can scale the high notes with an ear shattering falsetto that's exhilarating and giddy. He is also versatile with a delicate touch, switching gears and shading his vocals with subtlety and nuance. Drums, rhythm and guitars accent the overall sound giving it drive, power and distinction. Creative in its execution, the musicianship is an exercise in virtuosity.

Performance: At this gig, Hopkins was an electrifying performer who let the spirit of the music move him. One could feel a charge going through his body and being projected into the audience with such sheer excitement and passion it became gripping. Hopkins also thinks fast on his feet. When he faced a couple of broken strings on his guitar he put it aside, undaunted, and launched into an a cappella rendition of Nina Simone's "Be My Husband."

Summary: The only drawback to the entire show was the size of the audience. Hopkins deserves a bigger following because he has the talent and performance acumen to back it up. Regardless, Hopkins and his band performed like stars and gave it their all. It's just a matter of time before a word-of-mouth buzz catches up with them.

––Harriet Kaplan

Thanks for reading :)

myspace.com/petehopkins
posted by:
pete
Los Angeles
Advertisement

Recent topics in "Los Angeles"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
New Time 4 Hemp Broadcast ANDROID AP! Casper 0 November 22, 2014
Evita Parties offlineprinceton 0 November 11, 2014
Cougar Dating Made Easy offlineDEBORAH 0 November 5, 2014